Thursday, August 10, 2006

COMIC BOOK REVIEW FOR: NEW AVENGERS #22 CIVIL WAR

(image placeholder)
COMIC BOOK REVIEW FOR : NEW AVENGERS #22 CIVIL WAR
Article by Phillip Seahorn

This “Civil war” thing with Marvel just appeared to me to be Marvel’s version of the “Crisis” thing at DC, which it is, really now ,c’mon.
So, I have been sparingly following this “comic event “bullshit because it is not about us fans, but about the bottom line for said comic companies.
HOWEVER, with this issue, the whole thing gelled for me in this storyline.
Now, you got a black man on the cover of a comic with”Civil War” on the cover, and I’m going to buy it.New Avengers#22 bought it all home.
To me, as a person of color, this was the best comic I have ever read in my life.
Period.
Because a comic book FINALLY, after 40 years of reading comic books, spoke to ME.
The dialog of Luke Cage and Iron Man DEFINED the socio-economic, class system in the U.S., which INSTANTLY bought classism,racism, the history of the United States and it’s relationship between white folks and black folks, rich and poor.The writing made me weep.I am not fucking joking.I wept after reading this issue.
I am not going to reveal ANYTHING about the story.
BUY THE FUCKING ISSUE.
I know this is supposed to be a review, and it is .It is also an endorsement.
From a 45 year old fan.